Friday, July 2, 2010

Cubism



I was looking through a book comparing the lives and works of Picasso and Matisse.

It showed a painting that Matisse had done in a Cubist style of a still life by Jan Davidsz de Heen as inspiration.De Heen's painting is entitled A Table of Desserts.

I looked at the original and I looked at Matisse's "copy" (both shown here).

Then,I read about Cubism...

' In cubist artworks, objects are broken up, analyzed, and re-assembled in an abstracted form — instead of depicting objects from one viewpoint, the artist depicts the subject from a multitude of viewpoints to represent the subject in a greater context.

Often the surfaces intersect at seemingly random angles, removing a coherent sense of depth. The background and object planes interpenetrate one another to create the shallow ambiguous space, one of cubism's distinct characteristics.'

I'm not sure I quite understand that..especially when I am looking at a "cubist" painting.
How, from the explanation above, does one come to this painting by Braque of a Woman with Guitar ??






I found another painting by de Heen and tried to do what Matisse had done in a Cubist way. And I looked back at Matisse's interpretation of the old painting he chose and could not for the life of me, see in the Matisse copy, an expression of Cubist principles as I understood them from the definition.
Here are a few versions





I removed the berries on the left.Repainted the bowl removing some fruit adding a diagonal darker shape through the table and bowl.


Repainted curtain orange.Replaced table on left with planter.Added a darker, triangular area to top right corner.


Replaced curtain with shutters.Removed clouds.Darkened the planter and the orange wedge to the left of the bowl, and darkened the window frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment