Thursday, March 25, 2010





The middle photo is the original painting. The bottom is the 1st revision and the top is the final version.

First,I made some changes to the original painting:

some might be difficult to discern from the photo....

Obviously, I set the tray on a surface and placed wallpaper in the background. There are hints of orange,pale blue and black in the design.

Then, I muted the intensity of the reflections on the tray surface and softened their sharp edges. Reflected objects have softer edges.

The orange reflection was as intense as the fruit itself...so I added a touch of blue to the orange to neutralize it a little. I also lessened the intensity of the reflected vase.

The tray seemed too bright now..it didn't match the painting's tonal key.

So... I took some of the color used in the wallpaper and repainted the tray to make it less bright.

I know this is a more fully realized painting so why am I still drawn to the original ??
The top version will be the last! It is very similar to the original, but the tray is 'grounded' now.

1 comment: