Wednesday, March 3, 2010



Just to remind you...
I'm currently taking 2 classes: one in landscape painting, one in still life.

The reason I chose a still life class was because I had become rather addicted to painting from photos and this became worrying to me.

The class was designed to wean me from photos and toward painting from life. I've done a few 'live' paintings and have proven to myself that I can, in fact, do it !

The landscape class is difficult for me. .The teacher is certainly qualified but I am having trouble understanding what she means.
Others in the class don't seem to be having as much difficulty as I am.

First day she passed out snapshots she took in the parks around town and told us to paint from them.
Ironic to be painting from photos again !!

Her style is very traditional...no impressionism or 'painterly' application of pigment. Very realistic. Which is OK with me. But I suspect it isnt the style I will want to adopt doing landscapes. It's fine for still life...but I think my landscapes will be looser.

I've recently been introduced to and developed a great liking for the landscapes of George Inness. Above are two.



















No comments:

Post a Comment