Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Thumbnails

I read all the time..in all the 'how to...' books about art that it's a good idea to make small sketches..thumbnails first. ...to establish size, proportions, shading, masses of dark area etc.
I know it's the wise thing to do.

Why do I resist?

I'm taking a landscape class. Although we have stayed in the studio, I know that I will go outside one day and stroll through the woods and fields looking for a spot that I want to paint..

I expect that I will not set up an easel for an alla prima piece, but will try to capture the essential elements of the scene to take back to the studio.
Those elements being the shape, position, color and value of plants, trees, rocks, water..the sense of light and shadow ...cloud patterns etc.

My impulse is to take a camera to record these things because I don't have faith that I am able to capture the vital information through a sketch even with notes about color and light .
I much prefer to do everything from start to finish by my own hand and eye.

I will give that a try....
I really don't mind using a camera but as I've said before, I want to use it as an adjunct to what I draw..not as a crutch or replacement for drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment